Monday, July 11, 2011

Ahh Yes, That Was a VA Monday


Everybody likes to tell you about what makes their Monday worse than yours. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. Either way, most people have a Monday that sucks for them. For the last eight months, Monday was just another day of the week - busy but manageable.

But now that I'm back at the VA, Mondays are different. I can't really say that I almost forgot what they were like - nobody does. Mornings can be shaky - full AM clinics with a large uncertainty of what level of help will be available. Afternoons are always shaky. There is an overabundance of retinal patients scheduled, and again, uncertainty of what level of help will be available. The retina attending is excellent with his patients and has an excellent bed(chair)side manner. But this comes at a sacrifice for efficiency. Now some people are able to do both, but that can be difficult in a retina clinic. The unfortunate thing is, as a resident clinic, it should be residents doing the lasers and the injections - that's our time to learn them. But instead, to extend more good manner, the attending has a tendency to do them. This takes him away from staffing patients while everyone waits in the hall for him. I myself am not too worried about it since I plan on doing plastics and retinal lasers will be far out of my league.

But as I have said before, the chances are low. So I have to be prepared to do other things.

No comments: