Monday, August 8, 2011

Whether to Publish


One way to beef up an application for fellowship big time is to have publications on board. But not just any - specialty-relevant publications would be nice. I have one online journal publication (ophthalmology based) and one peer reviewed article published on which I am a secondary author (not ophthalmology based). Where does this leave me? Fairly deep in the ground.

I have this research project on which I spent several hours gathering and manipulating data. Then several hours more building a presentation around it. The big question for me lately has been whether to take all of this to publication. The "information" I found was not ground breaking or likely to change the way in which anyone practices medicine. It mere takes something which has not been extensively studied in the past and fails to come up with a concrete answer to anything - just recommendations. And while they may be reasonable or even correct, they aren't deeply grounded. I just don't know that anyone would publish the rubbish.

Then there are a couple case reports I have sitting around I would work on. But even those are getting harder to publish it seems.

No comments: