Thursday, August 18, 2011

Everything Becomes Relatable to Cataract Surgery



I briefly mentioned recently how cataract surgery serves as the bread and butter foundation for eye surgeons. We no longer do it like the guy in the red over there. The steps are much more humane now and the results much more satisfactory.

As I am learning to do cataract surgery, weekly refining different steps along the way, I have noticed something funny. Not uncommonly I will think of some very every day things in a new light - as how they compare to something done during routine cataract surgery. Brushing my teeth is like polishing the capsule - gentle but brisk. Routing the kitchen's trim is like grooving through a nucleus - shave it away until the desired shape is reached. Opening what should be an unopened envelope is like making a good capsulorhexis - don't let any tears go astray.

Making your wife mad is like having a case go poorly - you don't want to have to face up later.

No comments: