Monday, August 22, 2011

Some Basic Anatomy, Doc



Most of the people I come into contact with in a medical setting, at least on the doctor-to-doctor front, know their basic eye anatomy. Most nurses as well know at least the information on this here diagram. Now, I know the exposure to ophthalmology type stuff in most medical school curricula is limited. But this is basic anatomy - first and second year student material. Most learn this to a limited degree well before medical school even starts. Allow me to say that I would never expect the primary care doctor to know the eye and orbit anatomy as well as my mentors (I can't say "me" because I'm still learning). But something must happen when certain people graduate - any knowledge of the eye just leaves.

The example is when I was recently consulted to see a patient in the pediatric emergency room. I was told over the phone that the iris was lacerated from a stick injury.

"Okay, so you're telling me there's an open globe, then?"
"No, Bradley, the iris is just lacerated."
"That by definition, Dr. Wuposnockee, is an open globe."
"But. . ."
"What's the vision?"
"Well it's 20/20."
"You're telling me the patient had a stick go through the cornea, lacerate the iris, and yet the vision is perfect? The patient doesn't have an open globe, or an iris laceration."
"Well than what is it?"
"I'll tell you after I see the patient. . ."

The cornea had a scratch on it. Yep, he did just fine. I once had an open globe myself, and as minor as it was, I had nowhere near 20/20 vision. My iris was not even lacerated, by the way.

No comments: