Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Piece of History

Recap from yesterday: I collect old medical stuff. So I guess in a way this is a continuation of yesterday.

This little (heavy-ass solid cast-freakin'-iron) thing is called an ophthalmometer. I can't say it's something I've ever seen used, nor had I ever seen one prior to acquiring this as a birthday present from my parents. I am somewhat familiar with its close relative, a keratometer. A keratometer is used to measure the curvature of the cornea. This does very much the same thing, though differently. And as a young eye doctor, I have no idea how.

One thing I've been trying to do is figure out when it was made. There are some models out there quite a bit older that this. And those that are much newer are all electronic. All of the mounted manual ones in clinic are also newer, but again, are known as keratometers.

I've got some research to do on this one. But I don't think it will be publishable.

No comments: