Monday, June 18, 2012

Another Update


You've probably noticed well before now that it has been a very long time since I have blogged about much of anything - nearly four months to be more exact. Clearly it is not as though nothing has happened in that period of time. I just haven't taken the time to write about it all.

The last time I made an appearance with a blog post I was buried deep in the planning and coordinating of a string of interviews in pursuance of a fellowship. That has all obviously since come to an end. The match day was held sometime in April and the news I got was not that unexpected: I didn't match. I interviewed at ten programs (seven in person and three via Skype) and still didn't manage to land a position anywhere. I made multiple statements beforehand about this very real possibility. I was told over and over that surely I wouldn't have a problem and it was just a matter of where I would go. I don't feel it's fair for me to sit here and say, "I told you so," but in all actuality, I did. And it wasn't a lack of self esteem. A bad applicant doesn't interview at half the programs, and it's not like out of 50+ applicants for 20 positions there were 20 good applicants and 30+ bad ones. More like 10 bad ones and 40+ good ones. I don't yet know the official numbers as they aren't posted yet, but I'm not naive.

I was beat down for a day but then got over it. I will apply again. This year I will not only look at 2014 ASOPRS fellowship programs but also seek non-ASOPRS fellowships which may start in 2013 or 2014. We will just have to see.

What else? OKAPs came and went again this year. Resident's Day came and went. Got a paper published. Working on a few other things academically. Busy around the house. The usual. I expect to be writing more frequently again. At least for a while.

It always sounds good in the beginning. . .

No comments: