Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Yes, I Worked Through Lunch


It has not happened recently, seeing as I have been at JEI and ACH lately, but yes, sometimes I have to work through lunch.

What's funny is that some patients, should they come to find out this little piece of information, show a fake sense of sorrow about it. We all know that if they saw me walk by with lunch in my had, they would grumble about their "prolonged" wait.

"Oh, you haven't eaten yet?"
"Why no, I haven't."

For some reason, this is not a subject I like to discuss with patients. It's on par with discussing my age. I am not sure why this is, but it is. Maybe it is because lunch is that brief period of time during the day, even if only for five minutes, when my obligations to the patient population are nil. That is my time, whether I choose to spend it alone or with my coworkers. Or sitting on the phone with my wife. Or running a quick errand to the post office.

I don't ask you about your age or lunch break, so please feel free not to ask about mine.

No comments: