Monday, November 7, 2011

The Apparent Stigma of Pink Eye

I find it somewhat comical when a patient comes in to the clinic with a routine case of pink eye. Well, not funny that they have pink eye, but how it is often dealt with.

The first thing they do is put up a thick wall of defense. They come in knowing their eye is red and irritate. But there is no way in hell they have been doing anything that would give them pink eye. And so when I bring this up as a possibility from the get go, not long after entering the room, it's as if I have accused them of something dirty. It seems as though this disease is put on par with the clap or something. Then there is this wave of depression or let-down. I've told patients they had cancer and had them handle it better sometimes. Sometimes not.

Well, I don't know where it is you're putting your face, but pink eye not any different from any other infection. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that everyone can immediately tell you're "infected," whereas other infections may require special privilege to know about them.

No comments: