Monday, September 5, 2011

The Value of Patient Positioning


I should first point out the fact that though I have rotated over the childrens hospital as of September first, I often have a backlog of blog entries to write. I have been averaging in the range of twenty at any given time. And since I have only been averaging about fifteen posts a month for the last three or so, well, you do the math.

One of my biggest mantras has always been about the importance of proper patient positioning during surgery or a procedure. Firstly, we do a lot of our surgeries on patients are still awake, perhaps just a little sedated. Of course, I do want to go into oculoplastics where there are more patients who are put under general anesthesia. At any rate, you want them to be comfortable so that they can lie there still for a good period of time.

Secondly, the person doing the surgery has to be comfortable. Imagine trying to do an entire surgical case straining your neck to see through the microscope or hunched over because the bed is too low to the ground. These situations make for a very unhappy surgeon at the end of the day and may even cause chronic back and neck problems.

So if there is one thing I always tell to people when I am teaching is to get everything set up so that everyone is comfortable FIRST, then you may proceed. And this goes for everything form an exam at the slit lamp to putting in a central line to doing an 18-hour muscle flap procedure.

No comments: