Friday, September 16, 2011

Look, a baby tick!!

The VA clinic is a very busy place. There are distractions everywhere. The halls are lined with people and each of the rooms experience constant in and out traffic. But once you're in my room, you expect my full undivided attention. Likewise, I expect yours. There is already a sign on the inside of my door telling you of the importance of not talking on the cell phone while I'm in there.

But I didn't think I needed a sign for this. A lady, perhaps more accurately a less than well-kept female, was sitting in my exam chair. She asked me some question about her glasses prescription. I then proceeded to tell her why we couldn't give a new prescription at that time (certain conditions preclude giving a good, accurate prescription). I did not have her full attention; to this day, I'm not certain I had much of it at all.

She was too busy examining herself. I think she was doing everything possible short of stripping to find what was bothering her. Recall I described her as less than well-kept - stripping was not an option. Eye contact could not be maintained. Then she found it.

"Oohh - a baby tick!" she acclaimed. "I was wondering what that was. . ."
"That's great. Don't throw it on the floor, please."
"I'm sorry, Doc, what were you saying about my glasses?"

Okay. New sign. Here it is:

No comments: