Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Regenerating Hope

 
You're Not in the Club!!
I may have mentioned before how there is a club to which certain oculoplastics fellowships belong. This is known as ASOPRS, or the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.  What does membership mean? Perhaps a bit more prestige in the long run and maybe a better academic appointment if that is desired.

So here is the plan. I will first apply to the ASOPRS programs simply because the application deadlines for those are first - the match occurs this coming April. If/when I don't match via this route, I will then seek out the non-ASOPRS fellowships and apply to those who are willing to take on a fellow in 2013. It's basically about putting myself out there and seeing what grabs. They typically interview only 8 months prior to the start date.

The fact is, of all the people who apply for ASOPRS fellowships during this match cycle, only 50% or less will get a spot. The remaining half who don't match will consist of a couple different types of people. One type is the one who isn't terribly serious in the long run about oculoplastics and will ultimately decide to apply for a different type of fellowship. I used to be this kind of person - I thought if the plastics thing didn't work out, I would go the cornea route. But after much reflection, I decided I just wouldn't be overly happy doing cornea. The other type is the one who will reapply and find these other non-ASOPRS people. That's how both of my current mentors did it and they're both great at what they do.

What's to lose? And if a few years lapse between finishing residency and landing in fellowship position, so what?

No comments: