Monday, May 30, 2011

Vacationing Sucks - When It's Not You


When I went on vacation, it was awesome. For me. And those with me. But it didn't take long for me to realize that it wasn't so awesome for some others.

The other first year resident with me at JEI spent the week by herself manning, or womaning, all the consults; not to mention there was overall one less resident to do all the work. It would have helped if certain people did a better job blocking the appropriate clinics when people are gone, but that seems to be too difficult a task to be done correctly.

At any rate, upon my return, she was gone the very next week and it was me manning all the consults. My first day back the board was full of inpatients who would need followup at some point in time - her week had obviously been very difficult. Even though I was able to eventually clear some of those off, more just kept getting added on. And when we're down a resident, you can't leave the afternoon clinic to go see floor consults; they just have to wait until the end of the day, thereby pushing the "end of the day" further back.

We will be back to full numbers this week. This should make everyone happy. Too bad tomorrow morning's clinic has more people in it than ever have been; at least more than I've ever seen.

No comments: