Monday, April 11, 2011

How to End the Day on a High Note


Well, there are lots of ways.

This certainly isn't one of them

I had gotten through most of the day without realizing I was on call today. Sometime around 3:30, the question of who was on call came about.

"Not me," I stated with a smug look on my face.

Everyone started to look at each other as if to ask one another, "Well then who is?" I just shrugged my shoulders and continued to drill my beaten brain with more questions from a book. (Yes, that OKAP thing coming up.)

Someone looked at the schedule posted on the wall. "I though it was you," he said, looking right at me.

I had to double check the most recent schedule, mostly out of disbelief, as posted in my email inbox. Sure enough, I was listed on call.

"Shit," was all I could say.

I am only posting this now as I wait for anesthesia to sedate a little kid so I can sew up an eyelid laceration. Fun times - at least it's 6:30 and not 12:30 at night. Then on to see a severed optic nerve. Hmm, that sounds kinda bad. . .

No comments: