Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Ultimate

So I have been playing ultimate frisbee now for a couple months. It's a sport with deep seeded roots amongst the hippies, many of whom continue to play at 50 years old and up. But that doesn't matter to me, it's still fun. I started playing with Garrett about two months ago, the same time he started, through friends of his from previous emplyment and amongst them, several church acquaitances. Even though there are a few players out there I would continue to consider better than me, I feel I have improved greatly and play at a comparable level to any one of them. I am no longer a useless member on the field. There are just those couple of players out there I have always felt portrayed excellent playing ability. To be as good as them would be sufficient.


That is, until last night. I have started playing with a different group of people that meets in NLR a couple nights a week. I showed up thinking I would have at least some experience on my shoulders and perhaps I could play better than just one person out there. WRONG! These guys, and a couple gals, are the city's best of the best. They live for the game and have been playing for years. They actually play by the official rules, which come with a learning curve if you're trying to learn them whilst playing. They did throws I hadn't seen, man-on-man playing we never practice, and counting of all sorts including stall counts. All of this was a whole new game to me. I had read the rules, but seeing them in action is a completely different story. I felt, once again, useless. And that's when I realized, nobody we play with on Saturdays is absolutely phenomenal, not Ramsey, not the Millers, no one. So it's time for me to step up my game - and if I am so fortunate as to be able to match the guys I play with during the week, becoming the new ultimate God on Saturdays will be no problem. (Not that that was my goal from the beginning, but I can see now how it can (will) happen.) You're on, Garrett ol' boy. The truly competitive spirit has risen.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

That's some big talk there Dr. Bear. Hope you can deliver. I'd hate to be shunned b/c of your bragging.

Dr? Thuro said...

I don't know how much bragging that is. More wishful thinking than anything. And I don't want any more shunning from you, Missy.

Anonymous said...

Whoooo boy! Bring it on!

Grades are back for ICM, 91% for me, 90% for A, happy me. And we have some patient history worth 100 points due for ICM2 by this Friday, not sure about that one.

I've found 90% of patients I've seen to be quite amicable, so don't fret, I'm sure there will be trying patients, but they aren't all difficult.